Nitrous Oxide ( also referred to as “laughing gas”) is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe. Using Nitrous Oxide during your dental procedure can help to make you feel more relaxed. Many patients who are especially apprehensive of receiving dental treatment have been able to feel more at ease knowing that using Nitrous Oxide during their appointment is an option.
Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Nitrous oxide is safe, the patient receives 50-70% oxygen with no less than 30% nitrous oxide.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
The patient may experience mild amnesia and may fall asleep, not remembering all of what happened during their appointment.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide
You should not utilize Nitrous Oxide if you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Though there are no other major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, exotic chest problems, M.S., a cold or other difficulties with breathing, or if you may be pregnant.
Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Dental Care?
Dentist Julie Cichoracki, DDS aims to provide the best General, Cosmetic, and Family Dental Care for you and your loved ones. Call us today!
Click To Call
Richmond Office Phone Number 586-727-1100 Schedule Your
Appointment Online Patient
Our office hours are Mon 7:30am-3:00pm, Tue & Wed 9:00am-5:30pm, Thu 7:30am-3:30pm.